“New employees with a good onboarding experience are 18X committed to work”
This stat tells you what effective onboarding brings to the table – great business results. Sounds far-fetched?
Not if you read ahead.
So, what is employee onboarding?
The short answer – it is the first & the best chance for you to turn new hires into your most valued employees. The long answer – employee onboarding is the most crucial process of assimilating new hires into the company culture, business goals, people, responsibilities, processes, workflow, etc.
Why is employee onboarding so important?
Okay, think of it this way. Employee onboarding is the bridge that connects new hires with your organisation. The stronger the bridge is, the more positive new hires feel about your organisation. It is the first impression that matters a lot, to you, and your new hires.
If you look at these stats, it is clear that poor onboarding can lead to new hire drop-offs. For a new employee, these early experiences are so important. Onboarding is the lens through which your new hires will see right through your company’s culture, vision, people and processes.
The way you onboard your employees will spark volumes about your company. So, it’s your call whether or not to provide a great onboarding experience – but remember what’s at stake if you don’t.
Ensure a flawless onboarding with our Ultimate Employee Onboarding Checklist: <Download the Checklist>
What are the drawbacks of manual onboarding?
If you still rely on traditional, manual methods to onboard your new hires, it is high time that you reconsidered your onboarding strategy. You might be thinking – “Hmm.. All these years HR teams have been doing these processes manually, and why would that be a problem now?”. Because when you evolve, you increasingly rely on technology to make processes smarter and more efficient.
For the same reason, a company’s digital maturity shows how agile a company is and if your onboarding is still not backed by technology, your new hires are going to judge you.
Here are some reasons why manual processes can ruin your onboarding:-
- Slow: Needless to say, manual processes are slow. When the HR team has to juggle multiple systems and processes, it can be difficult to stick to the schedule. This leaves the new hires disoriented during onboarding.
- Impersonal: When your support teams have to manually carry out 15 different tasks at once, the quality of the process can be at stake. With manual processes, you might not be able to provide a personalised experience to the new hires.
- Inconsistent: It is humanly impossible to ensure that each one of the new hires gets the same quality of onboarding. The onboarding experience may vary according to the HR team’s planning, resource availability, or even the importance of the role hired. This sort of inconsistent and fragmented onboarding experience will reflect negatively on your organisation.
- Error-prone: It is humane to make mistakes and when your HR team has to manually manoeuvre through a lot of steps, there can be honest mistakes.
With the advent of remote and hybrid work, it is more crucial than ever to have flawless onboarding, backed by technology. Organisations don’t have a choice but meet the expectations of their new hires, no matter where they are.
Does automation make onboarding better?
Looks like it does. Hundreds of studies show the positive impact of onboarding automation and how it increases process efficiency.
- 36% of HR professionals stated that a lack of onboarding automation had hindered their onboarding processes. (G2)
- Automating onboarding tasks results in a 16% increase in the retention rate for new hires. (ELEARNING)
By automating tasks such as scheduling meetings, sending emails, distributing documents etc. you are saving up a lot of time for more strategic tasks such as having regular one-on-ones with new hires, planning early engagement activities, preparing their career path, exploring what kind of learning and development opportunities you should provide them with and a lot more.
An HR team that is truly available for the new hires – that’s what automation promises.
How to automate employee onboarding? (Steps)
Here are 6 steps that involve the automation of your onboarding process.
- Define Your Process: Before implementing an automated onboarding process, it’s important to define the steps involved in your current process. List out all the steps involved in your onboarding process – from pre-boarding to transition. This will help you identify areas where automation can be introduced and how it will impact the existing workflow.
- Identify the Areas You Want to Automate: Pick out steps from the above list that should be automated. Keep in mind certain factors such as the hours and cost you will save, the impact on the new hires, and how it streamlines the overall process.
- Select a Platform: There are many onboarding platforms available, so it’s important to choose one that aligns with your specific needs and requirements. Look for a platform that is user-friendly, customisable, and integrates with your existing HR systems.
- Develop Templates: Once you have selected a platform, develop templates for all the digital forms and documents that will be used in the onboarding process. This will ensure that all necessary information is captured and the process is consistent across all new hires.
- Train Your Staff: Introducing an automated onboarding process will require some training for your HR staff. Make sure that they are familiar with the new system and understand how it fits into the overall onboarding process.
- Monitor and Evaluate: Finally, it’s important to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of your automated onboarding process. This can be done through employee feedback surveys.
What are the benefits of automated onboarding?
Stating the obvious, automated onboarding brings out positive business results. Even though it might be difficult for you to measure the ROI of onboarding automation directly, some other parameters reflect the impact of the same.
If you invest in an automated onboarding process, you are likely to see the following:
- Higher retention rates
- Improved employee engagement
- Better process efficiency
- Enhanced employee experience
- Lesser errors and gaps
- Reduced costs
From an employer’s perspective, all these factors add a lot of value to the business. But let’s take the employee POV – through an effective, automated onboarding, you are setting a foundation for a happy and productive workplace for them!
Gone are the days when employers worry only about sales and numbers. Today, the success of a business is more about employee experience and creating a productive work environment for employees – the first step of which is flawless onboarding. With automated and structured onboarding, you are halfway through winning your new hire’s heart.
Automate your onboarding with Hybr1d
Looking for the best solution for automating your onboarding? You are in the right place. Hybr1d is an end-to-end employee management platform that allows you to automate all the routine onboarding tasks and free up your time for more strategic matters.
Check out how Hybr1d can take your employee onboarding to the next level.